Table of Contents
Consumer Safety Information
This is the safety alert symbol. This symbol alerts you to potential hazards that can kill or hurt you or damage the ST100 Wind Machine Station or associated equipment.
Safety Behavior and Practices
• Improper installation could result in shock or fire hazard. If you are uncomfotable with the installation contact email@example.com.
• Do not use this device if any part has been under water. Immediately call a qualified service technician to inspect the device and to replace any part of the control system that is damaged.
• Any alteration to the device or its controls can be dangerous and will void the warranty.
Safety and Reliability Features
• During installation or maintenance, you should unplug the ST100 from the engine wiring harness to ensure the ST100 does not turn on the wind machine automatically.
• The ST100 stores start and stop temperature data on the device. In case of a cellular failure, the ST100 will continue running according to the latest downloaded settings until it reconnects and downloads new settings.
• The ST100 utilizes automotive grade components to resist vibration and heat damage.
ST100 Key Components
External Antenna Coax
12-Pin Wiring Harness Connector
2-pin Temperature Probe Connector
Device and Tile States
The Altrac station has the ability to check its own operation continuously. It will notify you of the state of the machine and if a fault occurs, an error code will display in the webapp. Please identify the code displayed when inquiring about service.
Altrac strives to make issues fixable by anyone. However, some of the checks below may need to be completed by a qualified service technician. Call a service technician if you have any doubts or reservations about performing the remedy yourself.
|Cellular Modem||2G/3G||LTE CATM1 (5G)|
|Cellular Networks||AT&T & T-mobile||AT&T|
|Power Supply||12 VDC|
|Peak Electrical Consumption||50mA @ 12VDC|
|Wiring||20/12, Direct Burial Rated, UV Stabilized|
|Operating Temperatures||-40°C to 80°C (-40°F to 176°F)|
|Weatherproofing||IP66, NEMA 1,2,3,3R,4,4X,12,13|
|Enclosure Material||PBT/PC Blended Plastic|
|UL Rating||UL94V-0 Flammability Rating|
|Sunlight Protection||UV Stabilized|
Altrac is continually updating and improving products; specifications are subject to change without prior notice.
Each ST100 includes a cellular modem. The modem automatically connects to the cellular network when the device has power. You may see the following states below.
The cellular modem is located on the top right of the circuit board. The modem is removable in case of damage or obsolescence. To remove, detach the antenna by gently pulling up on the gold UFL antenna connector. Without exerting pressure on the top of the modem, pull up on the sides to remove the modem from its headers.
The states below are the normal sequence you will see on startup.
Looking for Internet
If your device is blinking green, it is trying to connect to the cellular tower.
Connecting to the Cloud
When the device is in the process of connecting to the cloud, it will rapidly blink cyan. You often see this mode when you first connect your device to a network, after it has just blinked green.
When it is breathing cyan, your device has successfully connected to the Internet.
Cloud Not Connected
When your device is connected to cellular but not to the cloud, the LED will breathe green
If you see the above state or any other color, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
The modem is the most sensitive part of the ST100. Removing the antenna connector or modem without the proper tools could void your warranty. Contact Altrac. We’re happy to help.
The ST100 includes a backup battery designed to power the device for up to 3 hours during a power outage. This battery will not allow the wind machine to continue operating, but it does allow the ST100 to notify the user when their Wind Machine has lost power.
Altrac Part Number: PW100
Battery Type: Lipo
Continuous Discharge Rating: >= 3A
Nominal Voltage: 3.7v
Nominal Capacity: >= 1800mAh
Protection Circuit: Mandatory. If you do not use a battery with an integrated PCB protection circuit, the warranty on the ST100 is void.
Altrac offers replacements batteries.
Contact email@example.com for more information.
1. Remove the existing battery by prying the battery loose from the side of the enclosure.
2. Attach the new battery by removing the VHB tape backing and pressing firmly on the side of the enclosure.
3. Reattach the small white connector to the circuit board highlighted in red on the line drawing below.
Description of Operation
The wind machine station has three components, (a) the cellular powered station which attaches to the wind machine tower to send and receive data (b) the engine wiring harness which plugs into your wind machine engine and autostart to gather sensor data (c) a temperature probe that reads ambient air temperature. The station can be installed on any wind machine make or model although the wiring harness will differ between machines.
Other optional sensors exist such as soil moisture and fuel level. If needed, Altrac can provide an external antenna to increase cellular signal if current coverage is not sufficient.
All the information gathered by the Altrac station is accessed through the Altrac web app. From the web app you can monitor engine status, turn the engine on/off, and set up alerts and management reports. Visit altrac.io for more information.
|Connection Frequency||Every 15 minutes when the wind machine is OFF. Every 60-90 seconds when the wind machine is ON or ambient air temperature is within 2 degrees of stop temperature.|
|Ambient Air Temperature||Included|
|Hand-Off-Auto Switch Position||Included|
|Fuel Level||Diesel or LPG (Propane) Sensor Required|
|Soil Moisture||Soil Moisture Sensor Required|
|Alerts: Text, Email, Phone||Included|
|Management Reports: Daily, Yearly||Included|
ST100, A cellular-powered station attaches to the wind machine tower or a pole near the machine. This station records sends and receives sensor data.
Engine, The engine powers the wind machine fan.
Engine Wiring Harness, The engine wiring harness attaches to various points on the engine to collect sensor data. Each wind machine type has a unique harness.
Fuel Sensor, The propane fuel sensor attaches to the gauge on the LPG tank. For diesel powered machines, the sensor is lowered into the bottom of the tank.
Temperature Probe, The Altrac temperature probe takes readings of the ambient air temperature. This probe should be protected from direct sunlight.
Dimensions and Components
Brackets are designed to attach to (a) the ladder on a wind machine or (b) a 1.5” to 2.0” pipe.
As high above the ground as practical.
In an area clear of vegetation.
The Altrac station comes with pre-assembled mounting hardware. The ST100 is designed to be mounted on your wind machine tower with the control line running down the interior of the tower. Alternatively, the ST100 can be mounted to a pole near the wind machine.
1. Notice that each mounting hardware set has the hex bolt facing the same way but the brackets are mirrored.
2. Use a Phillips screwdriver screw on the brackets to the bud box using the preexisting holes found on the back of the bud box.
3. The finished assembly should look like the picture to above.
4. Fasten hose clamps to the vertical bar of the wind machine ladder.
5. Loop control line over driveshaft crossbar and zip tie close to the inner wall of the wind machine tower. Keep the cable away from the rotating shaft of the wind machine driveline.
6. Run the control line down the interior of the tower. Pay attention that the cable is not wound around the driveshaft. At the bottom of the tower, secure the cable to the gearbox or drill a small hole in the tower wall and zip tie to secure.
Operating Instructions Web App
Log in to your Altrac account. To set up an account, please contact the distributor who installed your device or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Click the settings icon in the upper right hand corner on the device page to set up alerts, change the device name, and update sensor settings.
The RPM tile shows the current reading. Click on the tile to see the associated history and graph.
The machine state tile shows the state of the Wind Machine.
The fuel level tile shows the current reading. Click on the tile to see the associated history graph.
Start and Stop Temperature
The wind machine turns ON when the ambient air temperature reaches Start Temperature and OFF when the ambient temperature reaches Stop Temperature.
The wind machine operation graph visually shows when the pump is running (green) or when the wind machine is off but is scheduled to run (red). You can change the default settings by clicking the settings icon in the top right.
Arm your wind machine by turning the Controller State to AUTO. Disarm the wind machine with MAN (manual).
The temperature tile shows the current temperature reading. Click on tile to see the associated history and graph.
The battery voltage tile shows the current voltage reading. Click on tile to see the associated history and graph.
Installation Testing and Finalising
Check cellular signal by navigating to the ‘Settings’ menu (gear icon). If the cellular signal is above 100 RSSI or you see a warning, you may need a directional antenna.
Attempt to start the wind machine by adjusting your ‘Start Temperature’ and ‘Stop Temperature’ in the web app.
Once the wind machine is running, you should wait for several RPM readings to verify RPM is calibrated correctly.
If all readings are present and accurate the installation is correct.
For a troubleshooting guide for installed Altrac Stations, please refer to: https://altrac.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360036921214-ST100-Troubleshooting