The propane sensor comes with a standard 40' (12m) cable. You can extend this cable up to a maximum of 500' (152m) total which is a 460' extension (140m).
To extend the propane sensor you will need two things:
- Appropriately rated 3 conductor cable
- Outdoor / Waterproof method for splicing cable
- Waterproof Connector Kit
- Waterproof Splice Kit
- 3 Conductor, 18 AWG
- Shielded with Drain Wire
- UV (sunlight resistant)
- Direct Burial
- VNTC – PVC / Nylon Insulation – PVC Jacket - Tray Cable
- Class 1, Division 2 industrial hazardous locations per NEC
- UL 1581
- UL 66 NEC Type TFN conductors
- IEEE 1202 RoHS compliant * UL 1277 Type TC-ER for 3 or more conductors
Link to spec sheet: A21803 Spec Sheet
To splice the cable into the existing propane sensor, there are two methods.
1. Waterproof Connectors
The first is to contact Altrac for an extension cable or extension kit. We have pre-made lengths of cable with waterproof connectors. The extension kit includes 500' of wire with connectors and crimpers to make your extension any custom length.
2. Waterproof Splice
You can use waterproof splice connectors to extend the propane cable. Whatever you use should be waterproof. DO NOT USE UNSEALED BUTT CONNECTORS!
Step 1: Cut the cable between the hall effect sensor and the small black box (intrinsically safe barrier device).
Step 2: Connect the wires color to color on both sides of the extension
Step 3: Connect the drain wire on both sides of the extension
1. Altrac supplied Deutsch Connectors
2. Solder and heat shrink
Connector (Single Deutsch Connector + Assembly + Testing): $8
Please sign in to leave a comment.